Monday, December 24, 2007

"White Christmas"

My dear readers!!

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2008, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make Norway great. Not to imply that Norway is necessarily greater than any other country. Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, sailing vessel of choice or sexual preference of the "wishee".

All the snow left with the mild breeze that came by a couple of days ago but I still have a white Christmas as I finished spray painting the walls and it is only fairing and painting the floor to be done before further boat construction can take place.

This is the workshop today, Christmas eve 2007:

And a few weeks ago...

This is a picture from the other side of the wall showing the two fresh air inlets with fans sucking the warmest possible air into the workshop, the vacuum pump and in the background the compressor. The strange looking red plastic construction is Guttorm's power-boat, it has not seen the water for a while and any bid would probably result in a sale (he is a sailor in his soul).

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Report from the construction site

The floor turned out OK. When it comes to epoxy coating, it turns out that concrete is supposed to dry for a week each cm before painting which in my case is three months....

The inner part of the floor was so elevated that I had to deal with this part separately, mixing concrete by hand and spreading out to get an even, brush able surface. Quite some work. Seems to turn out OK that part as well, I'm afraid it might crack though, as it is a quite thin layer and no reinforcements.

We also installed a door to the large room and this has helped keeping the temperature up.

I am currently improving the electrical installations. I am also drying out the air and heating to speed up the concrete.

The inner part of the floor has to be covered by plastic to prevent it from curing to fast (it is still quite fresh).