Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Preparations for next season

As the storms are passing the coast, the boat is safe inside Guttorm's barn.  The rig being manuvered in to the barn on October 2nd.  Unfortunately, it is not possible to get the boat back in to my workshop without extensive de mounting, so I don't have a heated workspace any more, just a sheltered place.  I'm still looking for a place where I can fair and paint the mast, might have to build an extension to my workshop.

 I made some stands in order to get the under water hull finished, as it was quite rough after spraying the epoxy and no further measures after that.

I put the boat up by first extending the floats.  Then, by lowering the trailer tongue, putting the aft supports in, elevating the tongue and fit the front supports I could level the trailer and pull it out.

I was wet sanding the hull with 240 grit paper until smooth as a baby's ass.  I had to quit when the water turned in to ice and I have a part of the aft hull left for spring.  I plan to use VC17m anti fouling.

I ended up putting the trough hull triducer (speed, depth, water temp) in the mid line, just forward of the forward bunk aft bulkhead.  This will probably put it out of the water at high speeds, as I was able to see the daggerboard trough the nets several times during sea trials, but I expect it to be able to give good readings upwind, on both tacks, where speed trough water is most important.

A few pics of the rigging details

Jib furler is Karver KF1 placed under deck (not visible) and continuous furling line is led trough hull side trough a custom fairlead made by Silas Spence. 

 Furling lines are then lead on top of bow nets

 Trough a two part lightweight fairlead from Colligo Marine mounted on the front beam top.  Furling line turns in a ring at aft end of cockpit, suspended in a bungy to keep it tensioned.  Furling is easy from nets or cockpit.

Screacher furler (also Karver KF1) has made some wear traces in the carbon fibre anchor on the bow pole.  Need to be watched closely next season.

This is the final solution for routing the screacher furler lines in to the furler drum, using two rings from Colligo Marine.  The only issue now is the furling line is too thick at the splice. The routing backwards on the boat is identical to that from the jib furler.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Long time no post

First, the end of the September 9 post.  Nav light was fitted, still wiring and battery to be fitted.

The active Garmin GPS antenna.  Still nothing to receive the data.

Picked up a new acetabular component for the mast from Opheim Workshop.

I kept the boat in Oslo until September 23rd, managed to sail quite a bit with several interesting crew. The last week in Oslo I was sailing every evening in from about 20 knots wind and down.  No damages.  Boat speeds up to about 15 knots average over one minute. Buried leeward float several times with no big issues. Main hull is barely touching the water when pushing the boat, resulting in loss of rudder a couple of times, which made the boat turn up slightly and reattaching rudder.  Haven't tried the assy yet, looking forward to that.

With the boat in the water, I had to turn focus back to my professional carreer, which necessitated a change in poisition and workplace. This has led to 20 hours of commuting each week, so my life feels rather busy now.  The boat was put on ground, as with no nav lights working, there were no more chance for a sail.  On the upside, I was able to acquire a rather nice commuting tool: