Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Epoxy coating starboard float

I have decided to let professionals do the finishing job on this vessel as I do not trust that I have the necessary experience in these matters to achieve a result good enough for the high standards that I pursuit. I have been thinking a lot about on which stage I would leave the work to someone else. I needed for sure to come to a point where the floats could be stored until due for finishing work, preferably all hulls and beams at one time.

I bought the SP system Hi Build 302 spray coating as the SP/DIAB salesman told me this was ideal as a water tight seal and as a foundation for the LP paint as well. As I have studied the documentation from SP it turns out they specifically point out that the Hi Build 302 is not suitable as a water barrier. This is the same guy who sold me 130 foam without telling when I specifically ordered 200 foam, as "he thought it would be good enough" which led me out on another 1200 km drive. I'm just not impressed....

Anyway, today I decided I had faired enough, down to 150 grit on the longboard, and I applied a layer of epoxy using a mohair roller on the starboard hull outside:

This will serve as a water barrier and also as a seal against everything while in storage. It is also the first time I am able to make a visual evaluation of the fairing work.

I'm quite content. A low area at the middle bulkhead tells me I probably use too much force on the board... Not able to catch it in a picture though.

Seems to be a fast boat...

3 comments:

Kalar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Celular said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

whitejohn said...

We are Cool Earth Contracting & Coating.This seems to be a great site which offers Reflective Paint Austin, Commercial roof, Commercial roofing, Cool roof etc. and i would surely like to try their service...i had been relying on Foil Radiant Barrier earlier and they too offered good stuff. You will be glad you decided to work with them.