Friday, February 11, 2011

Joined

I finally decided to just do it.  I lined up the two pieces the best I could and made parallel marks on the sides.  Then cut them with my Bosch GOP oscillating saw.  Mixed up epoxy and cotton chop and end joined, using a drill bit inside the sail track to align.  After curing I sanded the outside of the mast and laminated a 10 cm wide tri axial fabric over the join, using the poor man's vacuum bag method.  This will make an airtight join and I will laminate the inside with regular vacuum bagging.


While waiting for the edge glue to cure I made up a jig for cutting the track for the sail.


It is not easy to show the mnolded pre bend in a picture, but here's the two pieces joined.

1 comment:

CrashGybe 22 said...

Hi Tor,

Was not actually sure what you were joining but now I get it.

We have also used SSteel rod in just like the drill bit. Worked ok for us.

Andrew
www.andrew-mcleod.com